Had to run out this afternoon and I promised my mother I’d make soup. So I did… kind of. I left Ted with directions to make…
Emergency Creamy Potato-Corn Soup
1. In a large pot, combine & boil 5 mins:
- 5 cups of water
- 4 tbsp onion soup mix
- Pepper - NOT salt!!!
- Red pepper flakes (just a tiny pinch)
(err on the side of under-seasoning first; you can always add more later!)
2. Add & boil 5 more minutes:
- 1 cup frozen corn
3. Turn down to low & add, stirring until fairly thick (still soup-like texture):
- 1 cup potato flakes
- Evaporated milk, until desired texture is reached
- Adjust salt & pepper to taste
5. Once milk is added, heat thoroughly but DO NOT BOIL!
Notes: Sprinkle with cheddar cheese when serving, if desired.
If you have a bit more time at the beginning, you can make this soup more “real” by chopping an onion finely and frying it in the soup pot in some butter. Add water and (slightly less) onion soup mix when onion is translucent. If you don’t want to stress, though, skip it – it’ll still pass for good soup, especially when served with good bread or my mother’s wonderful Martha Stewart baked macaroni!
Post a Comment
I love your comments!