Yet another craft idea borrowed from chinuch.org. I love that site! Without that site, Jewish homeschooling would be WAY harder and I’d be spending all my time creating curriculum.
Naomi invited a couple of 3-year-old friends (and their little brothers) to come over today to do a small Chanukah thing. Not a party; you can’t really call 3 girls (and 3 very little boys) a party. But it was fun; she had tons of fun, and that’s the main thing.
Chanukah stories, latkes (from a mix!), and a craft… and here it is: my take on what was originally called The Clip & Light Play Menorah.
The original calls for the menorah to be built on a background of two wooden slats glued together for stability. I substituted dollar-store unfinished wooden boxes, unhinged (like me!). You glue the clothespins inside the box to make the menorah. As a bonus, not only can the kids can decorate the outside, but it closes up nicely for storage (along with a few extra Chanukah trinkets that can fit inside, since the menorah part is very low-profile).
The one above is my sample that I threw together in about eight minutes last night. My flames turned out a really stupid shape. I may redo them; I was just in a hurry last night to eat and go to bed. For Naomi’s, I did a better job.
Here are two of the girls’ projects. Pink flames! I love it! I think Naomi forced her friend to choose pink, while she herself selected the most authentic colour: gold. (the original calls for gold, but I was worried I wouldn’t have enough of it for all the kids)
The flames are sticky-back glitter foam (you use it to make glittery stickers, I guess) for the candles. I got a whole bunch of sheets for maybe $5?
Other than that, I’m actually pleased with the use of natural materials in this project. I hate how all craft projects are made entirely of foam. Don’t get me wrong; I love craft foam! But cannot help thinking it’s wrong, somehow. If I’d had enough lead time, I would have used wooden teardrop shapes painted with glittery colours.
Here’s Naomi Rivka’s menorah box close up. She did such a good job on the lid.
I used glitter paint instead of the solid-colour acrylic paint called for. It would have been more opaque, and dry faster, but for a gathering of three girlies, I thought glitter was more appropriate.
Anyway, these are all wood, except the paint. So you can probably just take out the candles and toss them in a composter when you’re tired of them! (if you’re not the sentimental type, like me).
As a project, this is less creative than I like, and more parent-involvement than I usually plan for (the project calls for “grown-up” glue for the clothespins so they will stick quickly, which ultimately prevents kids’ frustration). BUT I figured for “older” kids (3 and 4), they will come away with a nice looking project that they have had some degree of personal involvement with… so they can maybe feel a little proud of themselves.
Post a Comment
I love your comments!