I used to buy teriyaki sauce… but why, when it is super-easy to make??? Mostly, I can’t believe they sell various marinating and rib sauces for $3-4 a smallish (non-refillable) bottle. Again, why?
Here are two variations, one thin sauce which is ready-to-use right away and one thick sauce which takes slightly more prep and cooling time, but you can do it ahead (ie the night before if you want it for a stir-fry, or marinating).
1) Teriyaki sauce (thin):
- In a 2-cup measure, mix:
- 1/4 c good soy sauce
- 1/4 brown sugar
- Add to taste:
- grated, pressed, frozen garlic (or powder)
(- optional: grated fresh ginger – not powdered)
- Add water to make 2 cups (replace all or part of the water with chicken stock for a deeper, richer flavour)
- Stir well.
2) Boiled teriyaki sauce (thick):
If you are going to be boiling the sauce, you can replace all or part of the water in Step 3, above, with powdered chicken soup mix. But substitute low-sodium soy sauce so your teriyaki doesn’t get too salty! Teri-YUCKY!!!
- Transfer teriyaki sauce mixture (above) to small pot
- Add to taste:
- red pepper flakes
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer (low boil) for a few minutes to combine flavours.
- In a measuring cup or glass, mix:
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- water, enough to stir and make a milky paste (slurry)
- Pour slurry slowly into teriyaki sauce.
- Stir over heat until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Turn off heat. Add:
- 1-2 tbsp TOASTED (not raw) sesame oil
- Store, use immediately, or cool before marinating.
Remember – you can improvise!
If you don’t love the flavour of mine, make it your own; add a little something and see how it goes. Some of the Asian “somethings” that I have been known to add include peanut butter, rice vinegar, toasted sesame seeds, and mirin.
Mirin (rice cooking wine) is great to have on-hand, as it makes almost any dish taste slightly more authentic. For sure, use it wherever older Jewish-“Chinese” recipes call for cooking sherry. I used to wonder why they all did, and it turns out… Mirin is the taste button they were trying to hit!