(self-watering, that is!)
Let’s just see if it works.
~ Large tub (free by the side of the road yesterday)
~ Recycle bin (old model; free from the city)
~ 12 small square pots (free at curb; shown upside-down here but in the end I used them right-side up)
~ Braided garden twine for wick (already had it in the garden)
~ Strips of old t-shirt fabric (not shown) for additional wick-power
~ Strip of capillary matting from Burpee self-watering seed starter for extra wick-power
~ Potting soil ($6 at Fortino’s)
Basically, you thread the wick through the holes in the recycle bin, stand the recycle bin on top of the pots and let ‘er rip.
After I took these pictures, I decided the wick maybe wasn’t wicky enough, so I added a couple of strips of cotton t-shirt fabric in the hope that it will wick more wickily.
I’ve planted it up with a Sugar Baby watermelon seedling (pretty stunted; I hope it takes off now that it’s in a big planter) along with an Ildi tomato. Grow, babies, grow! Ironically, now that summer’s here, there’s not much summer left…
Post a Comment
I love your comments!