Skip to main content

The Beckoning of the Woods

DSC01069Despite a 30% chance of rain (which, by the way, means a 70% chance of NO RAIN AT ALL), today was a PERFECT fall day.  Sunny and absolutely, flawlessly, picture-perfect.  Which is GREAT, because I picked this day over a month ago as our first field trip of the year to the Humber Arboretum.  And I invited a group which turned out to be 42 people, all-told… so I would have been extremely peeved if we’d had to trudge around in the rain and muck.  But we didn’t!

The woods and meadows were definitely calling to us, and today, we answered.

I love homeschool groups!  The kids’ ages ranged from a couple of months to 12 or 13, and everybody participated as much as they could.  See the range of heights?  I love it!  There’s so little cynicism in the older kids - “that’s baby stuff!”  And the littler ones are challenged – by the long walk, by the challenging material, and the questions and comments of the older ones.  Mine are the ones in the bright yellow raincoats… I just couldn’t shake that “30% chance of rain” out of my head.  Plus, they are WARM raincoats, and in the shade, it was still a chilly fall day.

DSC01049 DSC01053 DSC01057

Yes, we have milkweed in our own backyard.  I don’t think he would ever pick it up with such fascination if I just went back there and handed him one.  It first needed the pixie dust of the teacher and big kids’ attention and all of a sudden, it was MAGIC.



Overlooking the Humber River.


Quick lesson in poison ivy (aka Toxicodendron radicans).  Not just “leaves of three” but “leaves of three atop a leafless viny stalk, with one leaf bigger than the other two, trying to get away from them.”  I may actually have a chance of recognizing it someday.  Pretty stuff, innit?


Finally, the crowning moment in our “animal tracking and signs” class – actual deer hoofprints!  (see them?)


I know, I know… in some parts of North America, deer have become such a menace that they are no longer cute and friendly like Bambi’s mother.  But here in Toronto, they are still an extremely rare sight, and it’s still a treat for kids to see footprints and believe that they are a wonderful gift of nature.  Sort of like people do about raccoons in places where THEY are not the urban menace that they’ve become here.  One region’s “cute n’ cuddly” is another’s “garden/garbage eater.”

As always when we come home from Humber, I tell myself we will go back WITHOUT a teacher or guide, because the one downside of doing it as a formal program is that the kids have to a) walk too far and b) walk too fast to keep up, even if there’s something interesting they want to look at (which is partly why they’re not in SCHOOL, darnit, but on a field trip, there isn’t much way around it).

DSC01070So maybe… maybe we’ll go up there during Chol HaMoed Sukkos, if the weather is nice, just us, with Abba along, and show off these woods we have come to know so well, in three different seasons. 

Naomi came home and did not one but TWO illustrations – here’s her first, and the second, in full colour, is up above.  She was very pleased with this one.  Apparently, Ted already showed her how to draw a deer… you can tell she’s had pointers on drawing this kind of mouth, because it’s not just the usual happy face she plasters on everything from elephants to pythons (okay, she’s never drawn a python, that I know of, but you can see what I mean on the faces of all the creatures but the deer).


  1. I live in a town with the word "Deer" in it. I have a ton of deer,turkey and a rogue bear or 2. I am willing to share any/all of these wonderful creatures with you at any time.

    When the bear first showed up running through my woods/yard(20 feet away from where I was drinking coffee on the porch)we had a nice homeschool lesson on " What to do in a Bear Encounter" That is one lesson I never thought I would need to teach. :)


Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

What do we tell our kids about Chabad and “Yechi”?

If I start by saying I really like Chabad, and adore the late Lubavitcher Rebbe, z"l, well... maybe you already know where I'm headed. Naomi Rivka has been asking lately what I think about Chabad.  She asks, in part, because she already knows how I feel.  She already knows I’m bothered, though to her, it’s mostly about “liking” and “not liking.”  I wish things were that simple. Our little neighbourhood in Israel has a significant Chabad presence, and Chabad conducts fairly significant outreach within the community.  Which sounds nice until you realize that this is a religious neighbourhood, closed on Shabbos, where some huge percentage of people are shomer mitzvos.  Sure, it’s mostly religious Zionist, and there are a range of observances, for sure, but we’re pretty much all religious here in some way or another. So at that point, this isn’t outreach but inreach .  Convincing people who are religious to be… what? A lot of Chabad’s efforts here are focused on kids, including a