I found this craft in the book “It’s Shofar Time” by Latifah Berry Kropf, though the book itself is now missing so I can’t look up exactly how to do it. I like it because it doesn’t use too much plasticky junk, but there is some. Just one, actually: the plastic “blowy” part of a party blower. So there you go. I also like it because it is not too tough, but does reinforce a few kid-skills. I dislike crafts that are all about adult intervention, but this is on the heavy-supervision side, for me….
- Adult step: Cut two construction-paper shofar shapes. (cut one freehand, then trace the other) Make sure the opening will be big enough to insert the blower. Choose the same colour or different colours. I used fancy “ripple” construction paper because it only costs a bit more and I thought the added texture would be interesting. Punch sewing holes down both sides as shown in illustrations below.
- Kid step: decorate the shofar shapes with stickers, colouring, stencil, writing, etc.
- Adult step: wrap masking tape around the end of a length of yarn to make a stiff (but safe!) “needle.” Match up corners of the paper shofars and tie one end of yarn to one corner.
- Kid step: Sew around the outside of the two shofars to join them together. A stitch that goes around the outside is better, but Naomi found that too hard and did this in-and-out one instead. Continue all around the shofar – just string yarn loosely right across the open end; it won’t interfere.
- Adult step: tie yarn firmly at the corner across from where you started. “Puff up” the shofar body so it’s 3-dimensional, then insert half a toilet-paper tube to hold the large end open.
- Optional adult step: “stiffen” the shofar body by inserting a popsicle stick, drinking straw, pen, or something else inside. I have to work on this, because otherwise, it goes a bit floppy in the middle.
- Adult step (not shown): remove the plastic “blower” part of a party blower (8 for $1!) and insert it into the narrow end of the child’s shofar. Secure with masking tape.
- Kid step: blow your heart out!!!